Tuesday, 26 April 2016

Ask the Harebells

 Ask the Harebells, they will know.
(day 26 of NaPoWriMo challenge)

“Daddy, where is my mammy?
My heart’s gone wonky on me.
It keeps banging, trying to empty.”

Ask the harebells, they will know.

“Daddy, my eyes keep leaking.
Do we need to ask the plumber
to fix me, like mammy’s washer?”

Ask the harebells, they will know.

“Daddy, I cannae fall asleep.
There’s a strange noise on the heath.
Not wind, nor sheep. What is it?”

Ask the harebells, they will know.

“Why are we off to the woods
with your sharp, heavy shovel?
Are we looking for saplings

to pinch to put in our garden?
Won’t we get wrong for that?
Daddy. Where’s mammy gone?”

Ask the harebells, they will know.

“The clarts in my mouth make me choke.
The rain above’s unending, I’m sad.
Daddy, daddy, this ground’s so cold.

Why do you leave me here, in this hole?
Is that mammy you’ve laid me next to?
Mammy, oh mammy! Is that really you?”

Ask the harebells, they will know.

No comments:

Post a Comment